Temple of the Eight Immortals (Ba Xian An)

2017-12-21 11:48:52 , Source : The Government Website of Shaanxi Province

Temple of the Eight Immortals (Ba Xian An in Chinese, also, Eight Immortals Palace, formerly Eight Immortals Nunnery), as its name indicates, is mainly dedicated to the legendary Eight Immortals: Han Zhongli, Zhang Guolao, Han Xiangzi, Tieguai Li, Cao Guojiu, Lü Dongbin, Lan Caihe and He Xiangu. Located on Changle Fang Street in the eastern suburb, it is the biggest Taoist temple in Xian and is a famous Taoist architecture in northwest China.

Temple of the Eight Immortals is also called Ba Xian An Palace because when the Eight-Power Allied Forces invaded Beijing in 1900, Emperor Guangxu and Empress Dowager Cixi escaped to Xi’an and lived in the Temple of the Eight Immortals. Therefore, Empress Dowager Cixi donated taels of silver later to fund the renovation of the monastery and gave it the name of Ba Xian An Palace.

The temple is said to be built in the Song Dynasty (960-1279), and was repaired and expanded many times in succeeding dynasties. The structures that can be seen today were mainly built in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). Not counting Mountain Gate, Paifang, Screen Wall, the Bell Tower and Drum Tower, it can be divided into three sections. The first section includes five halls, dedicating to the protective god of Taoism-Wang Lingguan. The second section has two halls, and the color-painted statues of the Eight Immortals are worshiped in the back hall. The third section is the Main Hall with a tablet hanging on its lintel. The four characters ‘Dong Tian Yun Ji’ was inscribed on the tablet by Empress Dowager Cixi. Inside the hall, sacrifices were made to Dou Mu Yuan Jun (a high ranked god in Taoism) Taoists in the Temple of the Eight Immortals, Xi’an and other gods. Its annexes contain Lüzu (Lü Dongbin) Hall and Yaowang (King of Chinese medicine) Hall on the east and accommodations for Taoists on the west.

Besides visiting the monastery and burning incenses to pray for felicity, you should also look around the street outside the monastery. It’s really a short street at a length of only 100 meters (110 yards) lined with two-storey buildings on both sides. Many curios like bronze mirrors, folding screen, four treasures of study, gallipots, porcelain and folding fans are sold here, most of which were commodities of the common people in olden times.

Temple of the Eight Immortals is a popular and important spot for Taoist celebrations in Shaanxi Province. On the 14th, 15th and 16th day of the fourth lunar month, the annual temple fair will be held. Ceremonious religious activities on the Double Nine Festival (9th day of the 9th lunar month) also attract a lot of adherents and tourists from near and far.

How to get to Temple of the Eight Immortals

1. Take buses no. 8, 27, 37, 43, 102, 203, 300, 602, 709, 903, or K622 and get off at Jishiguai Stop, and then walk east to the Gengxin Street. Turn left and walk north about 200 meters (220 yards) and you'll find the Taoist temple.

Take metro line 1 and get off at Kangfulu, then get off from Exit B, walk west along West Changle Rd for about 3 minutes, then turn left at the first crossing, walk south for about 4 minutes, you will get there.

Admission Fee


Opening Hours

9:00 - 17:30

Powered by: E-government Office of Shaanxi Province    Commerce Department of Shaanxi Province
Foreign Affairs Office of Shaanxi Province   Shaanxi Provincial Tourism Development Commission